Construction of Purvanchal Expressway at the ‘end of the tunnel’

Share with
Reading Time: 2 minutes

The 341-km six-lane (expandable to eight lanes) access-controlled Purvanchal expressway that stretches from Chand Sarai in Lucknow district to Haidaria in Ghazipur district is likely to be completed by March this year, informed Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath on Monday.

Earlier reports suggested that the INR 22,500 crore project will be completed by the end of 2020 despite the lockdown delays, way ahead of its set deadline of April 2021.

The Purvanchal Expressway, whose foundation stone was laid by the PM at Azamgarh in July 2018, will act as an industrial corridor for the different manufacturing units, development nodes and agricultural centres of the region and will attract investment in the handloom, food processing, warehousing as well as dairy sectors, boosting the region and Uttar Pradesh’s growth.

The expressway will connect Lucknow with the economically underdeveloped districts of Uttar Pradesh such as Azamgarh, Mau, Ghazipur, Faizabad, Sultanpur, Ambedkar Nagar and Amethi. Also, it will link them to National Capital Delhi via the 302-km Agra-Lucknow Expressway and the 165-km Agra-Greater Noida Yamuna Expressway.

UPEDIA’s media advisor in June last year informed of completing more than 80% of the earthwork and around 48% of the physical work on the project and assured that the remaining 52% of work will be completed soon by increasing the size of the workforce.

However, the project is still under construction. UP CM who visited Ghazipur and Azamgarh to inspect the construction work of the expressway blames the mafia for the delay in the projects construction. He said, “The mafia had obstructed the pace of development in Uttar Pradesh (in the past) and now, the government is seizing their illegal properties.”

“The campaign initiated against the mafia will continue and they will not be allowed to stay in Uttar Pradesh,” Yogi added.

Yogi at Azamgarh said, “The construction work of the expressway is moving at a fast pace. By March, the expressway will be completed and Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate it in April.”

While the project could not be completed last year, the progress is still commendable and expected to be completed before April 2021. 

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *